Went to the grocery store, buying potatoes and sparkling grape juice to round out beef stew and New Year’s Eve festivities, respectively, and saw pears. That means…
The possibilities are maybe not endless, but certainly numerous. I went for a cinnamon, clove and vermouth poach this time. This I topped with an orange whip cream.
Cinnamon and Vermouth Poached Pears
- 1.5 cups dry vermouth
- 2.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 5 pears peeled, quartered, cored
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Bring vermouth, water and sugar to a low boil.
- Add pears to pan, with cinnamon, clove and vanilla extract.
- Keep at low boil for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Cool to desired eating temperature. Or don’t. You do you. It is excellent right out of the pan, but will likely melt your ice cream or whip cream!
Orange Infused Whip Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- zest of one orange
- In a big bowl, whip cream until peaks are forming. Gently stir in zest and sugar.
- Serve. Immediately.
- Store any remainder in the fridge. Remember to use it though. No one wants to deal with wasted whip cream.